Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    I got this Altec 1652b EQ cheap and untested. I have tried hooking it is via XLR in and out (XLR in is via a RCA jumper pins 1,3 connected to the negative side and pin 2 to the positive side). I get no output. Is there a jumper or something I have to install across the barrier strip or are those just extra inputs?

    I hear a relay click after I turn it on. I am assuming that is a protection circuit.

    1

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    Isolate pin 1 from pin 3,(driving hi and lo single ended without the ground) and see what happens. It may be a "real" balanced input vs. a "servo-balanced" input and might not like the ground tie.

    It might also have some functionality issues.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    I'll have to try some different hookup options. I had read somewhere about some EQ's with the barrier strip needing two pins jumpered to work. Thats probably not the case with this one.

    This came from a "working setup" but I did not personally test it. I got it for dirt cheap so I took a gamble. It might have some issues. I am optomistic since the relay clicks

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member C.DARRELL FREEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2006
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I'll have to try some different hookup options. I had read somewhere about some EQ's with the barrier strip needing two pins jumpered to work. Thats probably not the case with this one.

    This came from a "working setup" but I did not personally test it. I got it for dirt cheap so I took a gamble. It might have some issues. I am optomistic since the relay clicks
    hello,try taking the top cover off and see if there are any peerless transformers installed in the octal sockets.if not,check to see if the octal sockets are properly strapped with jumper straps,two per socket if i remember correctly.hope this helps.c.darrell freeman

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    Ok I popped the top and found the octal sockets. Looks like each one has two jumpers.

    2

    I am going to try some more hookup configs. If that doesnt work I would think this unit is not functioning

    UPDATE: I unhooked 1,3 and just hooked up to the HI and LO on the barrier strip. It works! Thanks for the help everyone
    Last edited by Elitopus1; August 25th, 2016 at 09:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1652b EQ, how to hook up

    UPDATE: I unhooked 1,3 and just hooked up to the HI and LO on the barrier strip. It works! Thanks for the help everyone
    On many audio forums, especially that big blue one, you'll see as a matter of course it's advised to tie pins 1 and 3 together when connecting single ended gear to balanced gear. I say "not so fast grasshopper"

    This will work fine for "servo-balanced" gear the likes of which are produced by Aphex, Ashly, BBE, Behringer, DBX under the Harman umbrella, Rane, and probably a dozen other manufacturers. The output is split between two opamps each handling one half of the signal(+ or -), and the feedback paths are arranged such that shorting either + or - to gnd causes the other op-amp to kick up it's output preventing the 6db attenuation that otherwise occurs.

    When you're dealing with older pro level gear that is balanced, you have to be prepared to take the hit in signal attenuation when splitting a balanced line into a single end, and if you short either half of the signal to gnd, expect undesirable things to happen.

    With older balanced gear it's also a good idea to verify the pin-out as well. Pin 2 hot has not always been a "standard", and you will encounter some gear that used a pin 3 hot wiring convention.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.